Then reality set in...it was SMOKE, as thick as a wall pressing against me. I sat up...my adrenaline started pumping, I'm dreaming...I'm just dreaming...
I sat up and felt my way into the hall. As I walked around the corner I could see flames as the heat surrounded me. My kitchen is on fire!
I ran back to the bedroom calling 911. "Fire!!..Fire!!" I screamed "My house is on"...the phone went dead as the kitchen was engulfed with flames.
My house is on fire...what should I grab?...what should I do?...stop, drop, roll? I should be crawling on the floor but My photos, my stuff. What should I grab?
I spun around in circles unfocused and in shock. Was I cooking? Did I leave something on? It is hot...the heat continued to encompass me. I should be crawling on the floor...where are my photo albums? "GET OUT" my subconscious screamed..."Get Out!"
I ran to the front door, swollen from heat, I struggled to get it open as I ran out into the frigid January air, slipping on the ice covering my driveway, crying now, someone wake up...my house is on fire!
I pounded on my neighbors front door, as my dogs barked at our house from the front yard. I could see flames shooting out the roof....my stuff, my house, my life....was burning before my eyes.
Things are a blur after that...my sweet elderly neighbors usherd me in consoling me as the sirens whirred in the background.
Things could have been MUCH worse. My dog Nikki, (who is waiting for me at the rainbow bridge) was NEVER allowed on the furniture or bed...yet she jumped up and woke me. I ran around disoriented, I didn't crawl on the ground, I stayed in the house too long thinking of saving "stuff"
All these mistakes could have cost me my life.
Way back then we never imagined that Todd would become a firefighter and he would deal with people unprepared for such a tragedy....people who may have survived if they were prepared!
It is fire prevention week and I wanted to share my personal story because I NEVER thought this would happen to me...but IT DID! Being prepared and practiced could save you and your family!
This week I will share tips and advice from my very own Firefighter and host an awesome giveaway!
Sign up so you don't miss a thing!
In memory of my devoted dog Nikki,
who broke the rules that fateful night,
not a day goes by that I don't remind myself
how lucky Brianne and I were to have you in our lives.
Thanks for Reading!